ResultsPosted by Alan Ford (League Secretary) 26 Jun, 2017 03:23PM
EXETER GOLF & COUNTRY CLUB
JUNIOR GRADED TOURNAMENT RESULT 25/6/17
There was a total
number of 24 players:-
C Grade had 12 players with Eddie Whalley battling
and successfully winning the
grade. There was a play off between Owen
Matthews from Fort Stamford, Freddie Cockram, D&E and Cerys Williams,
Newton Abbot for Runner up position with Owen Mathews taking the spot.
Freddie was 3rd
and Cerys 4th.
was Plate Winner and Oliver Sutton was Plate Runner up.
B Grade had 6 players
with Roxy Gillingham winning the top spot.
Charlie Hill, EGCC, in his first tournament was Runner up and Devina Gandhi was 3rd.
A Grade: There were 6 players and despite being given a handicap Darcy Boyle won
the grade with Tom Kershaw runner up and Billy Whalley taking 3rd
place. There was a lot of strong
competition in this grade with a high standard of squash .
There are points
awarded to each player who enters a tournament determined by their placing at then end of each tournament and this is used if necessary as a seeding for the next
At the end of the
season the Shield made by Bob Hefford on
behalf of Devon Squash and Racketball is
presented to the player who has the highest number of points and this season
the shield and £15 prize Courtesy of the
Devon SRA was presented to:
Max Cockram from the
Runner up was Darcy
Boyle who also received a £10 prize
Well done to all
players and we look forward to seeing you next season.
CompetitionPosted by Mike Harris 01 Jul, 2016 03:00PM
I have taken on the role of Junior and Senior Coaching Co-Ordinator for Devon Squash. Through my base at Exeter Golf and Country Club I will be looking to build up the Devon Junior Coaching set up and really start to push the county junior scene forward! Please see below the proposed Talent Pathway for any and all Junior Squash players in the county. This will start fully September 2016 for the new Squash season!
- These are Junior group sessions held at clubs with local coaches, open to any standard of player at any age in that respective area. (e.g at Exeter Golf and Country Club 10.30-11.15am and 11.15am-12pm Saturday Junior mornings.)
- The main focus here is to get the the younger/less experienced children on court playing and learning the basic areas of the game. Teaching/Coaching packs such as the Mini Squash pack are great resources for these sessions. For the older/more experienced players it is a chance to do some routines and play some games.
- Cost to be determined by those running the sessions.
- Devon Squash Open Sessions, Sunday day times.
- Club coaches can put forward players who they believe are at the standard to benefit from these sessions, and can start taking their games to the next level. It is also a chance for them to start playing with others their own age/standard from around the county and be part of a Devon junior squash playing community. A general guideline in terms of standard could be that the player is able to serve/return relatively consistently and can play the ball on both backhand and forehand to the back.
- Players taking part in these sessions should be considering playing in the Devon Junior County Closed and also some of the more local England Squash run tournaments.
- Sessions run by one of the head county coaches (England Squash Level 2 qualified or higher, and an Assistant.
- Friday evenings roughly every 4-6 weeks at Exeter Golf and Country Club.
- From the Intermediate sessions players can then be invited to take part in the Advanced group sessions if they show the drive and ability to want to take their games on to the next stage.
- These players should definitely be starting to compete more in Junior tournaments, in and outside of the county or who are play in the box leagues or team leagues at their clubs. These can be put forward by the county coaches.
- These sessions will be with a smaller group of players (12 at a time) and will be based on a first come first served registration. (Emails will be sent out to those invited.) Sessions run by Mike Harris and one of the other selected county coaches.
- These sessions will start taking a closer look into the technical and tactical aspects of the game through using more complex routines and conditioned games to stretch the player’s abilities. Match practice will also be an important feature of these groups.
- Friday evenings roughly every 4 weeks at Exeter Golf and Country Club.
- Players that are at the top of the Advanced group or are older and stronger than those in that group will be invited along to these sessions. They will be at the sessions with other top juniors from surrounding counties as well, meaning that they get to play/train with some different players.
- These players would be competing regularly in England Squash Junior events around the country and also be playing Adult league squash and competitions.
- There will be a maximum entry of 9 players for each session to ensure that everyone can benefit the best from them. Once again it will be done on a first come first served basis on email invite. Sessions will be run by Mike Harris.
- The sessions will encompass in depth technical and tactical practise alongside harder physical work to really test and challenge the players.
If you have any questions about this set up or would like your child or yourself to get more involved, please contact me at: email@example.com
ResultsPosted by Alan Ford (League Secretary) 27 Apr, 2016 09:28PM
Just to let you know that our boys played some amazing
squash today (16th April 2016) and got all the way to the Semi's. We placed 4th out of 30 county
teams, finishing behind, Sussex, Kent and Yorkshire.
We beat Warwickshire, Lincolnshire and Essex on route.
Boys are shattered, but all of them had a great time and did the county proud.
Couple of photo's attached.
Posted on behalf
ResultsPosted by Alan Ford (League Secretary) 21 Feb, 2016 09:18AM
I am posting this on behalf of Jon Sharpe.
Billy Whalley (Newton Abbot)
Ioan Sharpe (Newton Abbot)
Max Cockram (D&E)
Sam Bishop (Fort Stamford)
Seb Walker (Newton Abbot)
Toby Roberts (Newton Abbot)
Eddie Whalley (Newton Abbot)
Luca Colombini (Newton Abbot)
Coach: Jon Sharpe
Team Manager: Matt Whalley
This season our Devon U13's have surpassed all
expectations. We've even managed to pick up some commercial interest with
Centrax providing sponsorship, and some great kit (Thanks to Matt Whalley for
organising). With an average age of just 10.5 the boys progressed to the
Semifinals stage of the English Intercounties with fantastic wins over Cornwall
(4-1) and a very strong Dorset side (3-2), playing with Billy Whalley and Ioan
Sharpe (both 9 years old at the time) at the top of the order.
Unfortunately, the semi's proved a step too far this
season, with tough games against Gloucestershire, Warwickshire and Surrey, with
each of these teams including several top 10 England U13's players. We showed
real grit though, eventually losing 3-2 to Gloucestershire who progressed to
We had time for a friendly match in Bude against
Cornwall, on 20th Feb, taking 6 U13's squad players and a couple of developing
U11's. Another fine win for the Devon boys!
Next season is looking promising with Billy Whalley progressing
up the English U11's rankings rapidly and Ioan reaching the Number 1 spot in
Wales U11's. We will have the magnificent Toby and Sam for another couple of
seasons too, so we have a very bright future in this age group.
Next up, we have the English U11's national tournament in
Warwickshire in April which we could potentially do very well in.
Thanks to all the parents who have helped this season.
ResultsPosted by Jess Hefford 09 Feb, 2016 09:56PM
Graded TournamentPosted by Jess Hefford 24 Jan, 2016 09:51PM
Graded TournamentPosted by Jess Hefford 24 Jan, 2016 08:27PM
Apologies for the delay
Graded TournamentPosted by Jess Hefford 10 Jan, 2016 08:40PM
Stamford Junior Graded Squash Tournament
24th January 2016
D Grade (mini squashers) 9am - 10am
C Grade 10am - 12pm
B Grade 12pm - 2pm
A Grade 2pm - 4pm
of Entry £6
Enter Please email Duncan Hefford at firstname.lastname@example.org
close 4pm Saturday 23rd January
Stamford, Mount Batten, Plymstock, Plymouth, PL9 9TU